Tuesday, September 27, 2011

2011 Uh Oh No. 1: Bees in my pants

After we tended to the Muscat juice last night I went out back to punch down Uh Oh No. 1.  I didn't take a flashlight this time.  Buggy and dark.  Even in the dark I could see that the birds that are feeding in the concord arbor are flying to the crabapple, sitting directly above Uh Oh No. 1, and pooping purple on it.  And why not?  Took off the lid, punched down, took no readings but satisfied myself that fermentation is active, put everything back together and went inside.

In the kitchen and, Ow!  What's that?  I slap at my knee and feel something pretty big inside my pants  and Ow!  Jeez!, slap slap slap and an effin' honey-bee falls out the leg of my pants!   SLAP SLAP SLAP and another one falls out!!  Ten seconds later I've kicked off my shoes and stripped off my pants and am calling Lori for a pair of tweezers so I can pull out the stingers.

And so, fellow wine makers, even though I got out of bed an hour before light this morning, I'm waiting...

No comments: