Sunday, October 12, 2014

2014 Muscat, day 8, Oct 12, 2014

0700:
Brix Muscat 3.15.  Brix Raisin 8.

There's not so much fizz that I can't consolidate the Muscat today.  I'm pretty sure that I'll wind up 5+5+5+1+1, which is a little bit of a drag - I'd love to have those last two combined.  I'll check with Brooklyn Homebrew later today to see if they have anything like a 2 gallon jug.

1800:
5+5+5+1+1 condensed Muscat
Et voila.  Condensed the Muscat into 5+5+5+1+1, as expected.  Very happy with that - it puts us about a gallon and a half ahead of where we were last year at this point.  Plus we have a gallon+ of Raisin, if it's not poison.

There's something very beautiful about the rush of CO2 bubbles up the slope and neck of the carboys at this stage of the wine.  Really I can sit there and watch it for a very long time.

2000:
The bubblers on the two 1 gallon jugs were fouled with foam and juice.  Cleaned and reset.  Everything else is well behaved.

Late this morning I hiked over to Brooklyn Homebrew and picked up some buffer solution to calibrate the pH meter, some drilled #2 stoppers so I can put a bubbler in a 750 ml bottle, an adhesive thermometer because I'd never used one before and wondered whether they are reliable, a grease pencil to see if it would work on carboys, and a "sanitary air filter" which is the gizmo that I blow into on the siphon device I use to rack out of carboys.

Haven't calibrated the meter yet, but a stopper's in the Raisin spillover, the thermometer is reading accurately enough adhered to a CB and makes me want to test it next year on the 100 liter tank for the white wine, the grease pencil works only so so on the carboys (maybe because they aren't quite dry?).

No comments: