Sunday, October 19, 2014

2014 Muscat, day 15, Oct 19 2014

1100:
Two of the bigboys are bubbling in the 25 to 30 second range.  The third seems to be in Bartleby mode.

Gave some thought to how long to leave things on the gross lees: not going to do anything extended.  Will rack soon.

1800:
Off the gross lees!

Earlier in the day we decided not to go to Homebrew to pick up Clinitest tablets because, after all, I'm not nuts about color scale tests.  When we used to do lots of Accuvin testing it felt good to do, but judging the color shifts is so subjective that it always left me wondering what the right result was and whether I was seeing what I wanted to see.  So we didn't go to buy tablets today, but in the early evening I was kicking around the cellar and found a stash I must have bought last year.  Used them and my eyes said we're between 0.1% and 0.2%

About an inch of gross lees.
So, all doubting aside, it still managed to reinforce my desire to rack off the gross lees, and we did.

We went from 5+5+5+1+1 where both of the one gal jugs were very heavy on lees - one of them was about half lees - to 5+5+5+1-liter.  Doesn't sound so different than last year, but last year we got the 5+5+5 by topping with a lot of the prior year's wine.

How's it seem?  I thought the first CB (now labeled "A") had a bit of bret aroma when I was racking it and I'm still a bot worried about it - this though the lees themselves didn't give off any barnyard smell at all.  B&C were fresh and sweet smelling.

All three CBs had about the same quantity of lees - the picture here is of the middle CB, which had the middling amount.  The book next to the CB is about an inch thick.

No comments: