Saturday, September 28, 2013

2013 Muscat, day 7, Sep 28 2013

* 0:30: Room 70, Must 70, Brix 5.5.  Giant drop in the last 18 hours.  Surface of the must is now back to fine fizz rather than the giant foam.  Will need to move the must to carboys in the morning.  For now have removed the paddle and swapped the ice packs.  Not expecting much temperature rise.

* 6:30:  Is it at this time every year that I say that the exact numbers I out down in these notes are not as meaningful as the trends and that I take the measurements in a consistent way?  Should be.

Room 70, must 68, brix5.  Or let's call it 5 for now.  After being as low id it showed this morning I decided to use the short scale (5 to -5) hydrometer, but that showed us clearly over 5.  So I decided to check both hydrometers with distilled water.  Short scale showed the water at 0.1 brix, regular (30 to -3) hydrometer showed it at -1 brix.  I could go back and adjust all the notes (no) or do a corrected chart (probably), but foe now calling it +5 seems fine.  Whatever the exact number, late today seems right for the transfer to carboys.

* 16:30: Well, with the room and must at 71 F and the brix at 4.5 on the short scale hydrometer, and the likelihood of not being around on day 8, I transferred the must from the tank to three 5 gallon carboys and a 1 gallon jug.  I tried to leave a good deal of space in each vessel so that the ferm could foam up without fouling the airlocks (and I'd use the gallon to top off when things died down) but in the last cb, which got more than it's fair share of the lees, the airlock was getting fouled within 30 minutes.  Made some adjustments.  Everything is cleaned and stowed.

No comments: