Saturday, October 13, 2012

2012 Muscat, Day 15, racked off gross lees

Racked the Muscat off of the gross lees this morning.  All together lost a gallon of volume, going from 5+5+5+1 to 5+5+5.  I gathered some of the mud and put it in a cold spot and will look tomorrow if there's been enough separation to get us 750 ml for topping off.  Did not add any meta, as that was done when we consolidated out of the 100 liter poly.

(Allow me to say that last evening was a late night out with friends hearing music and catching up, and this morning Lori said I smelled of alcohol.  And a half hour later, cleaning the lees from the slop sink I couldn't help but notice that they smelled like alcohol induced puke - like the wine had thrown up.  Not me.)

I worked out a method while racking the third carboy that was a little more efficient and might have saved us a liter of wine, but the images below show what was typical of the first two.
Gross lees in carboy

Volume lost to gross lees in new carboy

No comments: