Saturday, October 27, 2012

2012 Cab Franc, Day 8, Pressed

Yip!  We've pressed the Cab Franc.  Just shy of 9 gallons, about 7 of it was free run.  5+3+growler+750ml.

Cab F cake
Color is a sherbet-like milky purple.  Very tart!!  pH seems to have raised in fermentation from 3.57 to 3.73 (or was I dyslexic when I recorded the first number?).   Acid, well, here's the range - somewhere between 3.68 and 4.32 ppt sulfuric, or .575 and .675 % tartaric.  How, you might ask, did I come up with such a ridiculously large range?  Well, I was holding the test tube up next to the really bright light in the cellar and I sort of blinded myself at a critical point.  But the middle of that range would be perfect, and we'll take it for today.  Will test again tomorrow and try not to stare into the light.

We haven't decided exactly how long to let the gross lees settle out - 24 hours?  72?  We'll play it by eye.

From this point forward I think I'll post separately about the Cab F and the Merlot, since they are taking completely different paths.

No comments: