Sunday, September 29, 2019

2019 Muscat C., day 9

6:30 AM
Cellar 77 F, outside 71 F, must 79 F
Brix: 0

It's time to move the wine.  Still fizzing, brix readings bouncing around zero.

I have not been checking for acid, pH, SO2, and really want to avoid any fiddling.  Still, since I wanted to look at a sample of the must, I took a quickie.  3.48, a tad high and I will test again before moving the wine to carboys.  If I were a really good person I'd also haul out the acid test chems.  (And after hitting 'publish' I tested pH again with more patience: 3.45.)

Some pics: the hopeful empties getting themselves ready; a sample of the must after it's been sitting a few minutes and you can get a feel for just how much yeast and solids are in it; the slightly too high  pH reading.
Hopeful empties.

Settling.  Lots of gunk.
A more patient reading gave me 3.45.



11:30 AM
Hoot, mon! 

We've moved from the primary fermenter to 5+5+5+5+3, leaving a fair amount of very yeasty must behind.  The transfers of the firs four carboys were silky smooth. I decided that rather than have a completely mucky fifth 5 gallon I'd go into a three, but that did not stop the three from being insanely lee-filled and nearly volcanic.  Pictures below tell the story.  The three gallon carboy was so out of control I decided to stick a wine thief into the stopper to create an extra long chimney for the gassing off.  when it calms I'll go back to the bubbler. 
Racking off of the gross lees.



No comments: