Wednesday, September 26, 2018

2018 Sauv. Blanc & Syrah, day 4

06:00
Outside: 72 F and 96% humidity.  Gack.
Cellar: 75 F.

Sauv. Blanc: Confusion!  76 F, less active than I was expecting, and Brix readings varied from 19 to 21, using both hydrometer and refractometer.  What's happening.  Shag was thin but noisy.  In the tube there were more falling solids than rising bubbles  - but plenty of each.  I was expecting to see the bubbler chugging and another precipitous drop in sugar.  Need to check back through past years.  I don't think I'm imagining that I've seen a rise before in measured sugar a couple of days in to the process.  Did not put in a fresh SanJ.

Syrah: 78 F and kicking butt.  Did not take a Brix reading.  Punch down is looser again.  The aroma that rises when you take off the lid of the fermenter is really something.


OK, No.  I've checked back through the years and have not seen a rise in measured sugar at any point.  BUT I've seen an unexpected plateau a number of years at just about this point in the fermentation.  Look for it to drop again this evening.  Or just stop worrying.


No comments: