Friday, September 25, 2015

2015 wines, day 7

0600: 64F outside, 74F cellar.  129 hours since yeast.
  • Muscat:
8 Brix.  2.5 drop (24%) over the last 10 hours.
For comparison, last year was 7.5 B at 114 hours and that was also a 2.5 drop from the prior reading.  Gone is the 60's shag, in is the 80's indoor/outdoor short nap nylon loop: about 1/4 to 1/2 inch very active, tight-bubbled foam.  I did not take the temp and I did not add an ice paddle - after last night's reading and seeing the deep foam disappear I was OK with things warming up and staying active.  Still OK with that?
  • Grenache Rosé
No measurements.
Lots of C02 visible rising.  Had one of those orange caps on the CB and saw that the bubbler wasn't giving any action, while the rubber stopper / bubbler combos on the smaller vessels were doing there thing.  Squeezed my hand around the neck of the cap and bubbler started going.  Sigh - I like them but I don't trust them so well and this is why.  Switched to a bored stopper.

2100:  Cellar 74 F.  144 hours since yeast.
  • Muscat:
76.2 F, 3.57 pH, 6.5 Brix.  Drop 1.5 B (18%) in the last 15 hours.  Wine is the warmest it's been but I'm fine with that now.  Foam is uniform and thin and white.

No comments: