Tuesday, September 22, 2015

2015 Muscat, day 4

0600: Outdoors 61 F, cellar 74 F.  Wine 73.1 F, 3.51 pH.  Brix reading, in retrospect, was off by a crazy amount and I need to remeasure.

Thick big-balloon-bubble shag, bubbler pushed up.  Swapped the ice paddle, but just before I did... death in the fermenter!

There's been a black wasp in the cellar since crush day.  I had the lid off the poly tank with the muscat in it, and saw the wasp circle the light just above the tank - and then fly into it!  I rushed over to it in time to see the wasp clinging to the side of the tank above the wine and then, not 5 seconds later, suffocating from the CO2, fall backwards into the foam.  I grabbed the hydrometer tube hoping to fish him out but on my first poke his body was swallowed up in the foam.  Begorah!

2200:  76.4 F, 3.54 pH, 16.5 Brix.  Pushing up the big bubbler.  Deep waffle rainbow yeast.  Warmest the Muscat has been - changed the paddle.  72 hours in I'm happy with the speed of the ferment.

No comments: