Thursday, September 24, 2015

2015 wines, day 6

0600:  It's 60 F outside and 73 in the cellar.  105 hours since yeast.
  • Muscat
73.3 F, 3.59 pH, 11.5 Brix.  
Down 1.5 B in the last 10 hours (11.5%).  Foam is thinner, easier to poke a hole in the shag.  Swapped the paddle and noticed that the paddle I was taking out showed itself full a good measure above the max line: it's very unlikely that's the way I filled it.  I'm washing the paddles and refreezing them between uses, but not emptying and refilling them: I'll start fresh from here on out.
  • Grenache 
Bubbling 27 burps per minute (I counted).  New measurement standard - bpm.  With that, seeing that there's enough gas developing to protect the wine, I decided not to pop it open and take measurements.  Buying time to get it into the next set of containers this evening.

2000:  74 F in cellar.  119 hours since yeast.
  • Muscat
72.9 F, 3.57 pH, 10.5 Brix.  1 Brix (8.6%) drop in 14 hours, foam very thin but gassing very constant.  Am I worried?  Did not put in a fresh paddle.
  • Grenache 
Ahhh.  1.6 Brix and I decided to move things into fully topped containers.  3 gal+1 gal+1 liter.

No comments: