Sunday, October 10, 2010

Staten Island Red

Ciao cugini,

Gina and I went to see Mrs. Lapide yesterday, as I reported in an earlier email, and we bought 5 crates of barbera, 3 of grenache and 2 of alicante. I varied the barbera recipe we used in the past because I had to--Mrs L had only 5 crates of barbera left. Mrs. L gave her blessing to the mix, which was good enough for me. Turns out she and her late husband--born Lorenzo Lapide--made wine for years.

G and I crushed the grapes in the PM--OK, it was mainly me. Grapes were superb: the alicante did a fierce impersonation of black, the barbera was sweet, and the grenache sweet and fruity. No raisining, no rot, no lie. I crushed into 2 barrells because I didn't want to risk overflow from a single barrells. Grapes were room temp when I added the Red Star Montrachet yeast at about 9 P.M.--3 envelopes of yeast per half gal pitcher, plus 1/2 cup of sugar in each pitcher.
We're shooting for about 150 bottles.

Purple froth beginning to appear as of 7 A.M. this morning, and a gorgeous perfume beginning to emanate: a star is born.

The juice that's running from the stirring sticks is already purple and has a sweet taste with fruit--it already has a little alcohol push to it, or my tongue deceives me. Which it does from time to time.

In vino,
Bernardo

3 comments:

Bernardo said...

No meta yet, by the by. I'm going to add some as the froth subsides.

Steve Lewis said...

Bravo! Send pics of the new cellar setup.

Bernardo said...

WIll do, Steve, first thing tomorrow.