Sunday, October 31, 2010

2009 Merlot, 13 months in

We still have 12 gallons of the 2009 Merlot blend in bulk - two 5 gallon carboys of free run, and two 1 gallon jugs of pressed.  Since we have fresh Accuvin tests laying around, I thought I'd poke into one of the carboys and take a look - these wines had never had free SO2 or malic acid or PH tests done before.
  • Free SO2: about 23 ppm.  That's how I interpret the color chart.  I would have thought lower, but if that's right, I'm happy and ready to boost it.
  •  TA: 6.5 g/L.  Low end of the acceptable range for red.
  • PH: 3.8.  Really?  Really?  (Presque Isle, darn it, send my darned meter so I don't have to do the color chart for this one, eh?).  Well, if it's true, lots of SO2 to add.
  • Malic Acid: 30 to 50 mg/L. 
As a newbie to testing, I'm surprised the PH is so high if the TA is so low.  Happy about the malic acid level. 

I think I'll wait on the delivery of the PH meter before adding SO2.  And we can decide then, too, whether to bottle or leave the wine in bulk.

No comments: