Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 8 (S.I.): full-tilt boogie

To crush is human; to press, divine is what the bard really meant to say.

The must was nearly still when I pressed yesterday. I tried a little of the wine as it came out the press's spout, and it's already showing a display of fruits and notes: I'm getting raspberry and the 1040, sched. D. No, I don't know--raspberry and something. The recipe I used was different from past barbera's simply because Mrs. Lapide was down to 5 crates of barbera--so there's twice the alicante in this wine and almost twice the grenache. We made a 70-20-10 barbera in the past; this one is a 50-30-20.

The yield was 28 beautiful gallons--I thought I'd get 30+. I was thinking 33, but considering how hot and dry the summer was, it's no wonder the yield's a little low. Anyone follow the weather in CA this past summer? Was it as hot and dry as ours?

Going to add the malo-lactic bug tomorrow, and will add some SO2 sometime soon. I think in the anaerobic state I can introduce them together, but I'm not sure.

1 comment:

Steve Lewis said...

B, turns out to be just the opposite re CA - cool growing season there, everything came in 2 weeks late, and that's why we're all here in mid-October. Long Island was two weeks ahead, CA two weeks behind, and Brooklyn has Kansas' weather.