Sunday, October 9, 2016

2016 Chardonnay, day 9: less than zero

09:30
Brix -0.5

Still steady CO2, but today is the day to move to carboys.

(Elvis less than zero)

15:00
Et voila.  Brix -0.8.

We racked the primary ferm into 4x5gal+1gal+1x.750ml.  Tossed what must have been between 2 and 4 liters of muck from the bottom, which we never would do in the leaner Muscat years (and, just as Lori said I would, I already regret it.

Using the silicon drilled cup-shaped stoppers this year rather than either the traditional rubber stoppers or the plastic caps with 2 spouts.  The later I've lost some faith in - I feel like they don't always give as tight a seal as you would want after primary fermentation and settling.  The former I would have used but didn't have enough of them this morning and when I ran out to Pagano at Terminal Market the silicon is what he had left in size sevens.

Chardonnay, with some old Primitivo and Cab Franc behind it.

There was very little foaming going on in the primary tank or noticeable in the carboys, so we filled them very near to full.  Plenty of gassing, though.  If there's no yeast foaming in an hour or two, we'll finish topping.  (OK, I reserved an itty bit of the muck to do this with.)

An hour of work, and now the months of staring begin.  Typical thick cidery color.

No comments: