Sunday, January 8, 2012

Vermouth, phase 1, a la Yvette van Boven

More diversions.

This is from Yvette van Boven's Home Made.  The fist phase of a vermouth that can be red or white, dry, semi-sweet, or sweet.

Infusing in the alcohol for two weeks are grapefruit zest and juice, orange zest, juniper, clove, saffron, cinnamon, thyme and oregano.  After straining, the alcohol will be combined with a white or red wine and a varying amount of sugar.  (YvB uses sugar rather than sugar syrup, and I say, Yeah, if you can get it to dissolve, why dilute the drink? I'm expecting to finish at about 19% alcohol.)

Whether red or white, I'd like to use one of our own wines.  I'm thinking one of the 2007 reds, which were pretty light, and semi-sweet.


And an update on that ginger beer made with wine yeast:  I let it stay at room temp for 48 hours or so, then put it in the fridge.  This morning I opened it to see if there had been any brix drop - whoa!  Only a slight drop but carbonation out the wazoo.  I might just do another, larger batch in a jug with an airlock and leave it at cellar temp for a week or so to see what sort of poison we get.

No comments: