Sunday, October 22, 2023

2023 Chardonnay - day 2

 0730

Cellar 71F, Outside 50 F, juice 66 F.  Brix 22 (maybe 22.5) in the primary tank

No surprises.  No real sign of fermentation yet, and I'm not expecting any until this evening, and would not worry about there not being any until tomorrow morning.

Just for yucks, I used two different hydrometers for the brix reading.  I wanted to test my worry that the older hydrometer's scale has slipped.  Verdict: not so much.  There was maybe half a brix difference between the two, and of course I couldn't say which was more correct.  But the new one has fancy colors, so that's the one I'll use.

1800

Shag, Momma, shag!  Might take a temperature or brix reading later this evening, but both vessels have started to ferment.  The shag in the primary is deep and bubbled, the CB more pf a stout's priest-collar.  Neither is pushing the bubbler, but there's a lot of head-room so I'm not expecting much.

2130

First there is a mountain...

Cellar 73 F, Outside 49 F, juice 70 F.  Brix 20.5/23? in the primary tank

OK, pic below is of the priests's collar that's still in the CB.  But the shag in the primary that was there at 1800 ... disappeared!  In it's place, though, is the fizz of ferm: listen to the audio here.  The big brix span I'm listing is because 20.5 is what I first got in the tube, but after leaving that to tend to the tank temp, when I returned to the hydrometer it had hoisted to 23.  I think that higher reading was due to the fizz / bubbles lifting the hydrometer in the tube.  I trust the low reading.

priest's collar




No comments: