Saturday, January 3, 2015

2014 Muscat, day 91, Jan 3 2015, 2nd racking

1600:
Lori & I racked this afternoon.  Went from 5+5+5 to 5+5+3+ 7x750ml.

Very little waste with the lees, but rather than stretch to 3 full carboys and topping them up or using glass beads for the void, I really wanted to have a little wine bottled for reference & comparison to what we bottle next.  Won't be as clear but it's the taste and feel I want to compare.

I added about 1 ml 10% meta solution per gallon, hoping to raise the readings by maybe 10 ppm or more.  Didn't add anything to the wine we bottled.

I also re-tested the pH - it really the off-the-charts 4.06 I saw yesterday.  In theory, at this pH, we'd need a whacky, tasteable amount of sulphur added to the wine to protect it.  Ain't going there.

Our 2nd racking of the 2013 wine was at about day 75, so we're a little slower this year.  But I'm hoping we'll bottle a month or more earlier than we did last year.

2130:
No visible gassing off - will switch from bubblers to solid bungs tomorrow morning.

No comments: