Friday, January 2, 2015

2014 Muscat, day 90, Jan 2 2015

Did a quick check on the Muscat yesterday morning, and getting ready to rack before heading back to work on the 5th.  The wine was about 57F and the cellar maybe a few degrees warmer.  Stopper on CB Charlie was less tight than it should have been and I reseated it.  No testing yet.

Holy moly, testing is done and it's effin good!

10 gal muscat
10 gal muscat on the bench
pH around 4.06 on the meter.  Sulphur around 15 or 16 ppm by Titret.  Acid around .65% tartaric, or 4.2 ppt sulfuric.
partial shift
about 1.5 ml of NaOH 

full color shift
Color shift at 2.6 ml

shift vs wine
color shift vs wine
The acid level is a great relief, given how flat the must seemed, and then how sharp the wine was immediately after primary fermentation.

Color is right on, light lemon yellow.  The nose struck me immediately - for the first time since we started I thought this is delicious!  Mouth-feel was a surprise - I'm sure it went through malolactic fermentation: we did nothing to force it or prevent it, but I guess my mouth wasn't quite expecting it.  

I'm breathing a sigh of relief.  This summer's party is on!

No comments: