Saturday, November 3, 2012

2012 Merlot, Day 15 (Nov 3)

800: Room 69 F, must 72 F, 5.2 Brix.

Was hoping we might have had a productive night so switched to the short scale hydrometer (-5 to +5).  Looks like the manufacturer took into account the human need to use a shiny toy too soon, and put an extra three hash marks on the +5 side and that's how I read 5.2.  Our regular hydrometer said 5.

We have to make some decisions about pressing.  The reality is that there is no chance at all that we can assemble the team during the coming week when we might reach zero Brix.  So likely the best we can hope for is to press Sunday afternoon, and hope that we're at least down to 3.  I'm fine with that - we've had beautiful color since the get-go and we've already had the wine in contact with the skins for 5 days longer than anything we've done before.  I also think I tasted a swing toward bitter this morning - but it really was more likely the state of my wrecked morning mouth.  (I didn't get that last evening.)

No comments: