Sunday, September 26, 2010

2010 Muscat, day 2, fermentation is running way too hot

Fermentation is running away and I'm not able to stop it.  Have been adding ice in bags and icepacks through the afternoon but at this point it looks like we'll have fermented down about 9 Brix in a little more than 24 hours and I can't budge the temp down out of the 70's.  Lori's put a big fan on it, and I've reversed the cellar exhaust fan to bring in some of the cooler night air.

For comparison, last year it took 48 hours for the Muscat to really start fermenting and process off one Brix, going from 21 to 20.  (After that it went quickly - going to 10 Brix 36 hours later.)

Should I mark this up to gear lust?  The 100 liter poly doesn't fit in any tub I have that I might create a cold bath in.  I also wonder whether the poly with it's lid and bubbler just does not dissipate as much heat as the carboys I did the primary in last year.  Woe!!  Woah!!

No comments: