Saturday, May 9, 2015

2012 reds, time to get serious

We've draw off 187 ml bottles of the 2012 Merlot and Cab Franc.  Bringing them to cellar temp and we'll taste them for blending over ne next couple of days.  When we looked at this last year we were leaning toward 10% Cab F, and if we stick to that we're going to have a lot of it to bottle straight - 6 or 7 gallons, I think.  Even more if we decide to bottle any of the Merlot straight, and I think we might.

I've downloaded to sulphite calculator from fermsoft.com (on the recommendation of Alison Crowe in her book).  Why the heck hadn't I done this before.  Excellent!

And looking back to a May 2014 post I see that Mike and I bottled a 3 gallon CB of the 2012 Merlot then.  Jeez, where is it?  I don't remember drinking it - or labeling it.  Drag!  Now we need to search the mystery cases.

Quickie Ph reading: 3.86.  That puts the amount of meta to add to the 14 gallons of Merlot to raise it 20 ppm @ 1.86 grams.  Lat addition was in November of 2012 when we added what we thought would raise the level by 30 ppm.  Maybe I should only shoot to raise by 10 now?

No comments: