Monday, December 2, 2013

2013 Muscat, day 72, Dec 2 2013: testing

I tested the third of the wine that had the least topping off when we racked off the gross lees in October.
  • SO2: 30/35 ppm.  Leaving this alone.  That's about the same reading I got on October 9 from the CB with the middling amount of topping off.  I'm questioning whether the Titrettes need replacing - I didn't mark them for an expiration date.  Might not have wondered this if not for the acid test, below.  The only SO2 adjustment so far was on Sep. 22 when I added about 30 ppm to everything.
  • Acid: Well, the chem kit I have was purchased 13 months ago.  Maybe I need to change it.  If that's not the case, then our acid is off the scale - somewhere above .75% tartaric / 4.8 ppt sulphuric.  I vote for changing the chemicals.  We were at 4.32 on Sep. 24.
  • pH: 3.43.  Sep. 24 measurement was 3.38.

No comments: