Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ugh. Wrong gasket.

Well, the PI folks disagreed about which gasket to send, Doug made the decision, and unfortunately what they've sent is wrong two ways: wrong diameter & the valve does not fit through the opening in the tank's lid. Sigh.

Of course, that wasn't clear until I'd taken everything apart.

Sooo... I gave the lid and old gasket a super-hot cleaning, hot tap and boiling water. There was indeed more mold around the upper perimeter of the gasket in some spots, but nothing at the bottom and no trace of anything at the surface of the wine.

And tasting: much relieved of my secret fears. Except that it tastes young yet, we're going down a good path.

With all of these gasket looks and lid-offs, this batch is getting more oxygen than I'd like, but I don't see that there's anything to do for it except xfer to carboys (which itself would be a lot of airing) and give up on the tank for the season. Let's see if the cleaned gasket holds or if I can get a proper replacement.

No comments: